Playing nice with the other children...

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

Wandering

Playing nice with the other children...

Post by Wandering »

I run a I7 3930 devoting 6 cores at 3.8 Gh, and a GTX680 to 16 projects including yours. All but yours pay attention to my settings that reach for work at 0.3 days, and allow 0.3 additional. You keep sending me task after task that starts estimating 7 hours but run about 15 minutes. As soon as a few are done you download more. The tasks have short deadlines. Less than 24 hours. I only run my machine 15 hours per day, and you can't have more than 6.25% of my donated capacity. All the other tasks behave nicely and turn in numbers that place me among the top 4% or better. Your tasks want to run continuously because they shift to high priority, use all six cores, and never give them up.

I don't know if there is anything you can or will do to improve the behavior of your project, but I will not let it continue that way. If there is no respect shown for the other projects, I will simply dump yours. I prefer to support your work, but not at the expense of other work that is just as important.

I saw another post here complaining of this problem, and the advice given was to turn over the machine to this project. Don't know who gave the advice, but that's not going to happen.

Hope someone can help or show me how to make your project comply with my limits. Thanks for reading.

Ray
CMmoose

Re: Playing nice with the other children...

Post by CMmoose »

You're bringing up points that have been put to the project team before. Others have asked the same questions and not much has happened. To be honest, the only way I know is to use the "no new tasks" command on the Boinc Manager, if you want to run other Boinc projects too and be certain of eOn not swamping your machine.
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

I read most of the other posts, but as they had gone back several years, I had hoped there would have been some kind of progress made. Thanks for your response. I had also hoped there might be some solution by now.

It's been nice, but short. I have turned off all new work, all the jobs completed, and I am going to move on. You would think that out of a sense of ethics they might post a warning on their other pages. I guess if they don't care, why should I?

Bye and good luck to you all.
CMmoose

Post by CMmoose »

Yeah, it's when the needs of the project conflict with how Boinc runs. To be honest it was better before eOn went Boinc and was a seperate project. The need for a fast turn-around of WUs is not really compatible with Boinc's set-up.

At least you gave it a try and are, maybe, wiser for the expeience.
Steve Hawker

Post by Steve Hawker »

CMmoose wrote:The need for a fast turn-around of WUs is not really compatible with Boinc's set-up.
Please explain the "need for a fast turnaround". Thanks!
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

In many projects, each work unit can be calculated independently of all the others. In seti, for example, each signal can be processed at any time by anyone. In our calculations, the machines are working together on a single calculation to model the time evolution of a molecular system. Using many machines together allows the simulation to be run much faster so that we can start to model experimental time scales. As the system evolves, however, work units from the past are no longer relevant and are thrown away. Because of this nature of our calculations, we have relatively short work units and fast turnaround times.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I bothered with registering for the single purpose of letting you know I dumped your project because it completely ignores settings meant to require it to share resources with other projects.

Fix this or you might as well turn it off. Nothing could be more out of touch with very core of distributed computing than a program that steals 100% of resources to itself regardless what settings a user makes.

This project should be removed from BOINC till it learns out to play nice with others, just as the thread title states.
upstatelabs

Post by upstatelabs »

It's interesting to me how I keep reading about folks having trouble getting eOn to play nice. It surprises me, because I have many hosts that do. In fact, sometimes I find that eOn doesn't take enough work. I sometimes wonder if people give a new project enough time to work out the kinks... I don't know.
Now there are issues to be sure. The credits are low. That's true all on it's own, but I think that it's even more true since so much bandwidth is required for the constant up/download of short workunits. And if you run part-time or occasionally, this project is not for you, you won't be happy. You can do the part-time thing with long due-date projects like WCG or rosetta, but not here.
If this project doesn't work out for you, there's no need to go away mad. Not every project is good for everyone.