New Longer Work Units

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

Conan

New Longer Work Units

Post by Conan »

Along with the normal short work units I have been getting a number of much longer work units.
The longer work units all seem to be of a series with either 11, 12 , 13 or 14 in their names.

My normal run times are from 300 to 450 seconds for my Linux 64 bit machine and from 600 to 700 seconds for my Windows XP 32 bit machine.
These longer work units run from 1,000 to 6,000 seconds on my Linux machine, and from 1,500 to 17,000 seconds on my Windows machine.
Windows 174803894
Windows 174624064
Windows 174513282
Linux 174966069
Linux 174803836
Linux 174621656
Linux 174512318

Credit seems to be the same scale as the shorter ones.

The Progress Bar on the Long Work Units does Not Work and so at first look it seems they are not working (I aborted one at over 4 hours because I thought it was stuck)(Task Manager says they are using a CPU core so I let them run).
Also they keep running past 100% for a long time before finishing and uploading.

EDIT:-- It would appear that Work Units with 15 in their names also do the same thing with No Progress Bar and very long run times (I have one running for over 5.5 hours and the time remaining ran out 1.5 hours ago but it is still running and using a CPU core).

Conan
Conan

Re: New Longer Work Units

Post by Conan »

Conan wrote:Along with the normal short work units I have been getting a number of much longer work units.
The longer work units all seem to be of a series with either 11, 12 , 13 or 14 in their names.

My normal run times are from 300 to 450 seconds for my Linux 64 bit machine and from 600 to 700 seconds for my Windows XP 32 bit machine.
These longer work units run from 1,000 to 6,000 seconds on my Linux machine, and from 1,500 to 17,000 seconds on my Windows machine.
Windows 174803894
Windows 174624064
Windows 174513282
Linux 174966069
Linux 174803836
Linux 174621656
Linux 174512318

Credit seems to be the same scale as the shorter ones.

The Progress Bar on the Long Work Units does Not Work and so at first look it seems they are not working (I aborted one at over 4 hours because I thought it was stuck)(Task Manager says they are using a CPU core so I let them run).
Also they keep running past 100% for a long time before finishing and uploading.

EDIT:-- It would appear that Work Units with 15 in their names also do the same thing with No Progress Bar and very long run times (I have one running for over 5.5 hours and the time remaining ran out 1.5 hours ago but it is still running and using a CPU core).

Conan
These longer work units are not a problem (would be good if the progress bar worked though), however when you run one for over 6 hours and get bugger all return it is very annoying.
See 165803362, I processed for almost 24,000 seconds was successful and valid but got just 4.80 points, for just 0.7 cr/h

Conan
CMmoose

Post by CMmoose »

I and many others have tried to alert the team to the credit-systems short-comings, but as as long as the work is done, they don't realy give a hoot.
KWSN-Sir Papa Smurph

Post by KWSN-Sir Papa Smurph »

CMmoose wrote:I and many others have tried to alert the team to the credit-systems short-comings, but as as long as the work is done, they don't realy give a hoot.
Well then they will have less work done. I have the ability to throw some Serious Horsepower on a project & our team is considering this project as a Project of the Month.
No more.
The credits do not have to be Spectacular but they must at least be Fair.
It would be different if the credits awarded had some Cost to the project, They clearly don't, so if I can get substantially better somewhere else, So Be It....
Steve Hawker

Post by Steve Hawker »

KWSN-Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
CMmoose wrote:I and many others have tried to alert the team to the credit-systems short-comings, but as as long as the work is done, they don't realy give a hoot.
Well then they will have less work done. I have the ability to throw some Serious Horsepower on a project & our team is considering this project as a Project of the Month.
No more.
The credits do not have to be Spectacular but they must at least be Fair.
It would be different if the credits awarded had some Cost to the project, They clearly don't, so if I can get substantially better somewhere else, So Be It....
+1

I have 2 issues with this project:
1. The low credit/hr
2. The short deadlines which force all tasks as high priority

I'll keep checking in here every so often, perhaps running a few WUs to see if anything is different but this is a far cry from being permanently involved with the project as I am with Collatz and NumberFields.
microchip

Post by microchip »

I don't mind the low credit and think it's fair as the WUs are very short and I don't crunch for credits but for science. What annoys me though, is the short deadline. I don't crunch 24/7 so you can imagine that it becomes a problem for people like me.
bones cruncher

Post by bones cruncher »

When I noticed these strange work units where the progress bar was not progressing, I came here to see what is going on. After reading, I aborted all the offending WUs. Perhaps if the project gets enough of these flushed WU, they will fix them. Apparently, posting to these message boards doesn't do any good.